Saturday 28 March 2009

Survival of the Weakest

I've always been a firm believer in evolution and Darwin's theories, to the extent that I hold some rather unpopular opinions about modern medicine. Today we can keep people alive that would have died naturally should medicine have not intervened. That is usually a good thing, but sometimes it isn't. When I see TV documentaries about people born with terrible ailments like skin problems, bad allergies etc or really debilitating disfigurements or diseases, I often feel that sometimes we shouldn't meddle with the evolutionary process. We keep some people alive with a vastly reduced quality of life and I don't feel that's right.

We should remember that evolution and survival of the fittest are good things. By filtering out the weaker genes only the strong ones are left. By allowing weak genes to propagate we are diluting the gene pool. Yes I know…I sound like Hitler, but it's what I believe.

However…where does that leave me with my defective brain chemistry? Humans are, after all, pack animals and prehistoric research has taught us that humans needed to live in colonies to survive. They would hunt together, build shelter together, defend themselves together, eat together etc. A human on their own would simply not survive. So if this was the prehistoric times and survival of the fittest was very much a matter of life and death…would I survive? Would my inability to bond with others and maintain relationships and friendships see me shunned by the pack and left to survive on my own? If so I'd surely die and my genes would never have a chance to propagate.

2 comments:

Beastinblack said...

Maybe our attention to detail means we dont need anyone else to survive/exist...maybe you have to be NT in order to rely on others to prop you up (in a natural environment scenario, not modern living). It was probably the AS individuals that invented the spear and worked out how to light a fire....the NT's were probably sitting in a cave chatting about the weather...

I think it is right that the human race will devolve if we let people with an IQ under 90 survive..hell the bimbo persona is even idolised nowdays.

AS-4-L said...

> It was probably the AS individuals that
> invented the spear and worked out how to light
> a fire....the NT's were probably sitting in a cave
> chatting about the weather...

LOL. Actually the use of tools is a major part of intelligence and evolution. Evolution can be mapped in simple stages if you look at the use of tools;

Animals that don't use tools->Animals that do (primates)->humans